Mondays with Mendenhall - April 15, 2019
This week the Long Range Planning Committee will meet once again with the focus turned toward a potential bond issue for this fall. The committee will be reviewing the overall facility needs in the district, and then making a recommendation to the Board of Education.
My belief is that every site should be positively impacted through projects in the bond. Some of the proposed projects include secured front vestibules, new carpet and paint, as well as other safety and security measures to enhance the sites. I feel it is imperative to receive input from the staff so we can provide the needs of each school site.
The following projects have already been identified as priority for the 2019 bond issue.
- Alice Robertson is proposed to be renovated or rebuilt with the facade remaining depending on what is discovered once we begin demolition inside the building. The New Tech facility and the current gymnasium would be tied into the overall design of the campus.
- Tony Goetz Elementary is proposed to be rebuilt on the same site and have a 400 student capacity. The current storm shelter would remain and the building would be designed around this feature.
- Sadler Arts Academy is proposed to receive additional classroom space, updated HVAC, a new entry on the south side that will serve as an alumni center, and a new parking lot.
- The High School will receive a new front entry that’s more accessible to the public, a fine arts addition equipped with band rooms, choir rooms and practice spaces. The auditorium will receive a complete remodel with new sound equipment, lighting and seating.
- A new varsity fieldhouse is proposed to be built adjacent to the High School campus. The facility would include seating for 2,000, lockers rooms, and auxiliary spaces.
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions on these projects that have been proposed as well as your feedback on the needs for your site. I will be sure to share this information with the LRP committee.
Have a great week!
Dr. Jarod Mendenhall
Muskogee Public Schools